Wednesday, August 10, 2011

If I haven't heard it, it's new to me.

There's a radio station here in Atlanta called WRAS 88.5. It's a college run radio station that has the most eclectic assortment of programming I've ever come across. Once I discovered the station a few years ago, I've never listened to anything else.  No matter when I tune in, I'm always in store for a new treat.

One such occurrence was when I heard this marvelous piece of insanity. Solla Solla by Illaiyaraaja



Way before I actually saw the video, the song impregnated visuals in my mind that were actually pretty similar. Although, I kept picturing the singer as a duck for some reason.

As soon as I could, I tracked down the album (s). You can grab 'em here.

I loooved them.  70's -Indian-Electro-Pop is a pretty fascinating combo.  There's definitely some humor to be had listening to this music, but I dig them in a completely non-ironic way. Not unlike another video I came across.


I believe the song in this movie was written by the same guy. From what research I've done, he's a pretty prolific guy with a staggering amount of work under his belt.  Without getting too far into that, I have to say that this clip has really enamored me. All in spite of how goofy it is, or perhaps because of how goofy it is.

I really don't know why, but I freakin' love it.  It's almost sickening how much I love it. The bit at 1:36 is especially mesmerizing. The look on her face certainly has something to do with it. I just kept replaying that shot over and over the first time I saw it. I feel compelled to animate it.

I can't complete a post about cool music without mentioning a gem by Burt Bacharach called "South American Getaway." I was introduced to it recently when I saw Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.


It's one of the coolest westerns I've ever seen.  I was pleasantly surprised at how good that movie was. The soundtrack really took me off guard. I was nothing short of blown away to hear bossa nova in a western! This tune has been stuck in my mind for days.  It gives me the sensation of fragmented memories sweeping over me like a steady breeze.

Here's just the track itself, uninterrupted.


This version of it's gorgeous.  It's mood is so adventurous and epic. The classical treatment of it almost makes the intro sound like "Frog's Theme" from Chrono Trigger.



No comments:

Post a Comment